Your Belongings and Mold Damage
The Mold Dilemma in Shreveport: What About My Stuff?
With the high humidity in Louisiana, most residents know a little bit about mold. They know what it is for sure when they see it, but what you may not realize is that the spores are everywhere and typically are not visible to the naked eye.
Mold is a problem when spores are exposed to moisture, grow, and spread. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offers the
following tips for dealing with mold:
• Clean and dry moldy materials
• Discard any items that are not able to be cleaned
• Dry all items not affected within 48 hours
Sometimes Items Can Be Saved!
- Furniture. Water and household cleaners work well on metal, dry wood, and plastic. Upholstered furniture and mattresses are not usually salvageable. It’s challenging to remove spores and fragments from the stuffing.
- Fabric. Clothing, bedding, rugs, and curtains can be washed or dry cleaned.
- Books, Photographs, Documents. Once dry, one option is spot cleaning with denatured alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Baking soda is effective at absorbing the scent.
- Electronics/Appliances. Unplug and wipe the exterior dry. Take apart what you can and air-dry for several days. A dehumidifier helps with this process — don’t turn on anything for a week.
While you may be able to clean some belongings, there is only so much you can do. Just remember SERVPRO of South Shreveport has advanced options like HEPA filtration and vacuum freeze-drying available for those important things.
If You Have Questions or Need Help, Call Us Today – (318) 865-4655
SERVPRO of South Shreveport specializes in restoring contents damaged by fire, water, or mold. Our expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water and mold damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of South Shreveport can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When the restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Water-damaged electronics can present a serious hazard. Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical device that you suspect has been damaged by water. We will coordinate the restoration of your electronics, including:
- Television sets
- DVD players
- And more
The key to restoring electronics is taking prompt action to prevent further damage. We start by cleaning the exterior of electronic devices to help stop further corrosion and damage. Electronics will be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronics technician.
Document / Photograph Drying
When your valuable documents, including photographs, are damaged by water and mold, extreme caution should be taken to help ensure the water damage does not destroy the document. Although some documents may not be restored to pre-water damage condition, SERVPRO of South Shreveport can save a great deal and help minimize additional damage.
Depending on the type of documents and the level of water and mold damage, we have five options for the restoration of documents:
- Air Drying
- Freezer Drying
- Vacuum Freeze Drying
- Vacuum Thermal Drying
Contents Claim Inventory Service
When a water emergency strikes, the damage can often feel overwhelming. We can help ease the worry and confusion during the recovery process by offering our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), which provides a detailed and accurate list of your belongings. We take a room-by-room inventory of your contents, including digital photos, and in some instances, bar coding.
Our Contents Claim Inventory Service:
- Preloss list and value of contents
- Detailed and accurate report
- Better information to settle claims quicker
- Assistance with burden of proof for claims
- Peace of mind when you need it most