How Do I Remove Water from the Carpeting in My Shreveport Shop?
Discovering that water damage has affected your store is never pleasant. Make the right decision and contact SERVPRO.
Carpets can absorb high volumes of water when disasters occur, making it one of the places that must get dried out first to prevent further losses.
Flooring can be one of the first materials affected by migrating water and saturation in your Shreveport shop. Besides structural elements that can become damaged and the wares and stock in your shop, addressing water losses as promptly as possible is vital to protecting your investment and shop location. Through both restoration and repairs, our SERVPRO professionals can help you to manage this loss scenario and get your doors back open quickly after a loss emergency.
From the pressing need that your structure has for responses like extraction and drying to full-scale commercial water damage repair in your Shreveport store, our professionals can help. Because flooring can be so substantially impacted by pooling water and migrating loss effects, it is often one of our technicians' priorities when we arrive. Carpeted floors are among the most sensitive of the flooring types, and one that many small business owners have throughout the main traffic area of the building.
How Do You Choose What Can Get Restored?
Before restoration can get started officially in your store, our team must evaluate the full scope of the property's damage. Noting where water has migrated to and where the problem originated can help us to provide sufficient water damage repairs in your Shreveport home like replacing plumbing or fixtures like sprinkler heads where they have broken. There are many focal points of a pre-restoration job scoping effort conducted by our management. These include:
- Content Inspection - There is no mistaking the importance of the wares and stock in your shop, as these are the items that you have invested your time and money into for hopes of a profit. Water losses can irreparably damage these contents. We can work to relocate your stock and evaluate them on an item-by-item basis to determine if they need focused restoration attention.
- Structural Evaluation - Much like the wares of your shop, your building is also a vital element to running a successful business. We can inspect structural components to determine if controlled demolition, replacements, or repairs are necessary during mitigation and latter stages of restoration.
- Water Migration - With the use of sophisticated technologies like infrared imagery and surface moisture meters, we can track the presence of water in materials and structural cavities. With these tools, we can determine the path of migrating water and ensure that all exposed materials get effectively dried.
What Are the Threats of Standing Water?
Standing water can occur quickly with a severe loss incident like a broken piece of pipe or a missing fixture. Pooling in any area of your building can lead to some substantial loss scenarios. With the prompt response of our SERVPRO team, it is possible to avoid some of these conditions, including:
- Structural Deterioration - Flooring is especially sensitive to the absorption of standing water. Carpet and hardwood flooring can begin to warp and get irreparably damaged within 48 hours of exposure.
- Material and Content Exposure - The contents of your shop and other structural elements are equally susceptible to this destruction after exposure persists for longer than it should.
- Longer Restoration Windows - Inadequately managed standing water concerns can lead to longer restoration times. Between removing moisture from flooring materials and structural elements to recovering exposed contents in your main shop area, standing water poses a considerable challenge for even our seasoned restoration professionals.
How Can Carpets Get Dried Out?
Carpets are among the most sensitive of flooring materials for water absorption and damage, which means that our technicians must act quickly to protect these installed elements when possible. Water removal and drying of this flooring often fall to specific practices and equipment, including:
- Weighted Extraction
- Carpet Wands
- Floating the Carpet
Is it More Cost-Efficient to Replace it?
There are certain situations where it could be more efficient and cost-effective to remove damaged carpeting and reinstall it after drying completes. These scenarios especially are valid when saturation has moved beyond the padding layer and begun to threaten the subflooring material like OSB board or concrete.
Whether you are looking to protect your contents in the shop or prevent the unnecessary removal and replacement of your carpeted floors, our SERVPRO of South Shreveport team must respond immediately to water loss scenarios in your shop. Do not hesitate to call our professionals to help - We're Faster To Any Size Disaster. You can reach us anytime at (318) 865-4655.
An Intense Storm Caused Flood Damage in My House, What Do I Do?
When the storms roll in, so can SERVPRO.
SERVPRO of Shreveport is Here to Help You During Your Hour of Need!
Storms can leave our homes in need of flood damage remediation services in what feels like the blink of an eye. However, no matter how the damage found its way into your Shreveport home, you need to get help immediately. Quickly addressing any water-based damage is the key to success.
Imagine a severe storm hitting the city of Shreveport and causing flood damage to your home. Lightning struck a nearby tree and caused it to fall on top of your home's sunroom, crushing a section of the ceiling. Suddenly, rainwater is pouring inside your home and soaking your furniture. Calling for help is the best thing you can do for your home.
How Fast Can SERVPRO Get to Me During a Storm?
Here at SERVPRO, we make it a priority to arrive as swiftly as possible. During a storm, we can help speed up the travel process by:
- Taking pre-loaded vehicles, equipped with flood damage remediation equipment
- Using city-wide reports to avoid flooding roadways
- Use a GPS to ensure we're taking the fastest possible route
No matter the time, we're ready to help you when you need it.
What Can SERVPRO Do to Stop Water From Getting Inside?
Our first priority upon arriving at your home is to stop excess moisture from getting inside. Using our team of highly trained technicians, we can:
- Remove the tree from your home, even if we must cut it into sections with chainsaws
- Cover the hole in the roof of your sunroom with a tarp
- Help you get in contact with a certified contractor who can rebuild
We're dedicated to helping you get the assistance you need for your home. From there, we can use advanced equipment to begin removing the water from inside of your home. Furthermore, we can send your porch-furniture to our facility to be professionally cleaned and dried.
If flood damage suddenly strikes your home, get help now. Speak with SERVPRO of South Shreveport by dialing (318) 865-4655. No matter the time or the place, we're here for you.
What Should I Do While Waiting For Emergency Roof Repair?
Storm Damaged Roof in Shreveport? Call SERVPRO to Mitigate the Damages
If your Roof Has Blown Off, Contact SERVPRO Storm Damage Technicians in Shreveport Immediately to Secure the Property
Why do roofs blow off in a storm?
Most roof shingles can withstand winds of up to ninety miles an hour, although, in some storm risk areas like Shreveport, they may need to withstand up to one hundred and forty MPH. As high-speed winds blow over a roof, they create a pressure imbalance that can lead to a significant upward pressure against roof shingles. Sometimes the upward pressure is so intense that it can force part or all of the roof off, leaving a home exposed to rainwater, wind, and debris while also significantly reducing the structural integrity of your building.
How much damage is caused by a blown off roof?
Harm to the roof of your home is among the most severe storm damage a Shreveport resident can face. Homes rely on principles of shared loads, equal distribution, and tensile strength. Your roof is an essential ingredient to the overall structure of your home. Upper floors may have exposure to rainwater as well as large amounts of falling debris on the lower levels and yard.
What should I do when a roof is badly damaged?
- Contact your insurer
- Arrange for a restorer
- Distance your family from any hazards
Can a restorer repair your roof?
Roof restoration should only be carried out by a qualified professional. However, restorers play a vital role in the repairs by preparing the job site and establishing safe conditions for third-party roofers. Our SERVPRO team can repair roofs under certain instances. There is likely to be significant amounts of debris on your property that needs to be cleared away. Equally, scoping the property and setting up tarps to protect the structure is essential. SERVPRO technicians can transport your contents for safe storage while arranging a third-party roofer on your behalf.
We can help you salvage or repair your contents and structure after severe winds. Contact SERVPRO of South Shreveport at (318) 865-4655.
Can My Home Be Effectively Deodorized Following a Fire?
Fire damage leaves odors. SERVPRO has the tools to restore your home and remove the odors. Call us today!
Several Local Shreveport Cleaning and Restoration Companies, Like SERVPRO, can Deodorize Your Fire Damaged Home.
Recently, one Shreveport resident experienced a moderate house fire. The fire started in an upstairs bedroom and later spread into the attic, causing considerable fire damage on the second floor and in the loft. After the fire, black soot stains were omnipresent, and the entire house reeked of smoke. Structural elements, insulation, and the home’s contents were all affected by the fire’s effects. Not knowing what to do, the homeowner started researching local cleaning and remediation services that could return her residence to the preloss condition. Eventually, she came across SERVPRO and decided to give us a try.
What Innovative Tools Do Fire Damage Remediation Services Employ to Restore Your Shreveport Home?
There are numerous restoration companies, like SERVPRO, that handle fire damage in Shreveport. These services use several innovative tools to eliminate fire-related odors from your home. This gear includes:
- High-velocity box fans that rapidly exchange affected interior air for clean air, reduce smells, and dry areas impacted by firefighting efforts
- Air scrubbers to filter interior air, removing gases and odorous particles, and release the cleaned air back into your house
- Ozone machines that produce ozone, a gas that reacts with and neutralizes odor particles
- Vaportek units that use natural oils to impact and eliminate unwanted smells similarly
- Duct cleaning systems with agitation elements, a powerful vacuum, and an effective filtration network to clean HVAC systems thoroughly
- Pressure sprayers that deodorize charred structural elements
- Thermal foggers that vaporize deodorizers, so that their particles are as small as odor-causing molecules can effectively counteract bad smells
- Ultra-low volume (ULV) foggers to seal and deodorize ventilation systems, structural elements, and difficult-to-access areas
- Injection devices, which use a pump and needle, to treat upholstery and carpets with deodorants
Experienced technicians are often able to make your home smell like it never even experienced fire damage by using these advanced tools.
What Can SERVPRO Treat and Deodorize?
SERVPRO can treat and deodorize most structural elements and household items. We have successfully restored homes damaged by cigarette mishaps, cooking fires, forest fires, and other unfortunate occurrences in. In the case of the Shreveport resident previously described, our technicians were able to remediate effectively the:
- Attic, including insulation and rafters
- HVAC system
- Ceilings, walls, and floors
- Home’s various fixtures
- Valuable personal property
After finishing work on her house, we had neutralized the fire-related smells and removed all of the ugly soot stains from affected surfaces.
How Does SERVPRO Eliminate Odors in Living Spaces?
When deodorizing the fire damaged Shreveport resident’s home, our technicians employed a variety of advanced tools and techniques to remove odorous residues. Some of these novel tools and methods included:
- The use of dry cleaning sponges to remove non-grease residues
- Employing the peroxide active cleaning technique to clean heavily soiled textured ceilings
- Using duct cleaning systems to clean HVAC surfaces and ULV foggers to seal and deodorize them
These measures helped remove odor-causing substances from the home, while also preventing remaining airborne particles from circulating to other, unaffected parts of the residence.
Are There Any Special Measures Taken to Remediate Attics?
There are two primary components of all attics, structural elements called “rafters” and the insulation. When attempting to restore these fire-damaged attic elements, there are a few unique things our technicians do. First, they ventilate the area with high-velocity box fans and air scrubbers. Workers may even leave an ozone machine in the attic overnight. Next, they might counteract odors with a ULV fogger treatment. Or, technicians may treat the attic with a thermal fogger. If needed, they place an additional insulation layer over the fire-damaged insulation to counteract any smoke damage. Workers may also seal in any persistent odors in structural elements by pressure spraying them with chemicals.
When your home suffers fire damage, it is traumatic for your entire family. Fires impact the functionality of your home and reduce the aesthetic beauty. Additionally, structural elements may be compromised, precious personal possessions are often damaged, and you almost always face substantial repair costs. At this time, you need the help of trained and experienced professionals that might save your residence and most precious belongings. However, like most homeowners experiencing these difficulties, you are likely unsure of whom to call for help. Rest assured, though, that there are services in Shreveport that can clean and restore your home. They are often available whenever you need them.
With all that said, if you ever need assistance handling residential fire damage, call SERVPRO of South Shreveport at (318) 865-4655.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open in Shreveport, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of South Shreveport today at (318) 865-4655 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Where Can I Find Commercial Flood Restoration Services in Shreveport?
Get your commercial premises back in working order, contact SERVPRO of South Shreveport at (318) 865-4655.
Flooding Causes Harm to your Shreveport Business Premises with Each Passing Hour
Does my business insurance cover flood damage?
Insurance for your commercial premises can provide coverage for reconstruction or restoration of flood damage in Shreveport when specifically mentioned within your policy document. If you are in a flood risk area, then it is likely that your policy covers flood restoration. You may want to double-check your policy agreement if there is a reported risk of flooding in the local area. SERVPRO restorers have experience working closely with insurance adjusters and commercial property managers to guide your business back to its preloss condition.
How long does it take to restore a flooded business?
Removing standing water and preventing further water intrusion in Shreveport is essential to mitigating property and contents harm. Our crew chiefs can place flood blocks or sandbags against entrance ways to divert the path of water from entering your property. Using electric submersible pumping equipment, we can rapidly remove water from a property up to twenty-five feet away from the truck mount. Restoration time is typically measured in days and weeks.
How does the restoration procedure play out from start to finish?
• Mitigation of losses by blocking water, scoping the property, and reducing standing water levels (pumping.)
• Inspection of losses and strategy planning
• Disinfecting the affected area
• Drying and restoring damaged building materials or contents
What special services do I need for commercial flooding?
Many issues are challenging for flood restorers. These issues mainly focus on water impact and water migration in your premises. SERVPRO has a roster of expert technicians that include water restoration technicians (WRT) and applied structural drying (ASD) technicians. Our skill-base enables us to perform multiple types of restoration on a given property without enlisting third-party assistance.
Get your commercial premises back in working order, contact SERVPRO of South Shreveport at (318) 865-4655.
For more about Shreveport click here.
How Can I Tell How Bad A Water Damage Incident in My Shreveport Home Is?
Mold issues in Shreveport? Call SERVPRO to handle your problem. There isn't a task to big or small for them.
You Can Call SERVPRO to Help Scope the Loss and Start Restoration Processes Immediately
Whenever there is an incident involving water intrusion at your Shreveport property, there is a possibility that the damage is severe than you think. Some aspects of the incident, such as the amount of water spilled or passage of time since the event starts, provide evident insight on the kind of damages to expect. However, other aspects that influence the level of damage may be harder to detect.
How long does water damage take to show?
The time it takes to notice water damage in Shreveport homes depends on several factors, including:
- The intensity of the damage present
- Efforts applied in scoping the loss
- The areas affected by the water loss
Water loss incidents vary in intensity ranging from the slow trickle of water from sinks and other plumbing facilities to sudden or accidental discharge. Intensive cases are easier to notice since they involve massive amounts of water and affect vast portions of the property.
Since water migrates from the source to both open and concealed sections of the property, you might only notice the damage in open areas. Some typical issues that go unnoticed after water spills include:
- Mold growth
- Rotting in structural supports or subfloors
- High levels of humidity
How does SERVPRO identify hidden problems?
Managing unseen problems, after water loss incidents, requires different resources. Our crews use a variety of sophisticated scoping tools like thermal cameras to check for wetness behind walls or floor materials. Thermo-hygrometers help monitors moisture levels in the air at different temperatures helping us establish whether to take action. Our training and experience dealing with several water loss situations help us spot subtle signs of wetness in concealed areas. For instance, pushing slightly against walls reveals moisture-damaged drywall, which has a soft or spongy feel.
SERVPRO of South Shreveport can take timely action to reveal and solve hidden problems after a water loss incident making it "Like it never even happened." Call us at (318) 865-4655.
Should I Hire Professional Cleaning Services Right Now?
There are times when dusting is not enough. SERVPRO offers enhanced cleaning services.
Shreveport Businesses are in the Fight Against the Virus
The pandemic is changing life as we know it in many places and ways, at least for a period of time. Many businesses are also a casualty due to enforced lockdowns to help prevent the spread of the virus, and many that remain open are taking proactive cleaning measures.
SERVPRO of South Shreveport Provides Disinfection and Cleaning Services
The CDC encourages regular cleaning and disinfection of high-touch surfaces such as tabletops, counters, doorknobs, elevator cars, stairway handrails, and other surfaces. Our trained and experienced SERVPRO technicians are familiar with cleaning procedures for a variety of situations involving biohazards such as anti-microbial remediation for mold, bacteria (sewage spills), and cleaning and applying disinfectants for viruses such as the previous SARS episode. We are fully capable and ready to help any business with this pandemic. SERVPRO of South Shreveport offers cleaning programs for businesses that remain open as well as those that are currently closed. Businesses that have remained closed during the mandated stay-at-home order may wish to have deep cleaning services in their preparation for a relaunch. We also provide deep-cleaning for institutions such as schools, athletic facilities, medical facilities, and government buildings.
There are many reasons to use a professional cleaning company.
- Experience, training, and IICRC certification
- Access to EPA approved medical-grade cleaning products
- Commercial grade equipment
- Flexible work hours 24/7
- No job is too large, or for that matter too small
If you need help with professional cleaning services, get help now. If you have questions and are looking for meaningful answers, please get in touch with SERVPRO of South Shreveport by dialing (318) 865-4655.
To find out more about Shreveport, click here.
Disclaimer: Advice from the medical and scientific community regarding how to deal with the coronavirus is based on present knowledge, which is subject to change as the situation continues to develop. There can be no assurance that disinfectants alone will be adequate to fully eliminate the virus. We are not physicians or infectious disease professionals. Consult your medical professionals for individual medical advice.
What Do I Do When A Broken Ice Maker Causes Water Damage?
SERVPRO professionals are trained to handle all types of water damage.
Call The Experts At SERVPRO To Assist You With Water CleanUp And Restoration To Help Prevent Further Damage To Your Business.
Most restaurants in Shreveport contain a large number of kitchen appliances to aid them in cooking and preparing food. If one of these appliances that use H2O breaks, then it is possible that your kitchen will flood and cause you excessive commercial water damage. Appliances like your industrial ice machine are useful, but they could malfunction and start spilling moisture all over your restaurant's building.
If the ice machine malfunction occurs at night when your business is closed, then hundreds of gallons of H2O could travel throughout your structure and cause several issues with your building materials and contents. During commercial water damage incidents in Shreveport, the moisture can follow gravity and start ruining your floors. Once your floors get wet, the relative humidity levels inside your restaurant can elevate and possibly cause other secondary problems.
If you ever notice that your ice machine has broken and it was pouring out water while your business was closed, it is wise to seek help from a professional company like SERVPRO. We can respond quickly and immediately start working to remediate your problems. First, we can shut off the pipes running to your ice maker and prevent the leak from continuing to occur. Next, we use moisture sensors to test your various contents and structural components to see what might have got wet.
Since your restaurant could have different flooring in your kitchen and dining rooms, our SERVPRO technicians can take various steps to remove moisture from each type of flooring affected. During the extraction phase, we can remove moisture from hard surface floors in your kitchen by vacuuming, mopping, or squeegeeing. If your dining room contains carpets, we can use weighted extraction tools with our truck-mounted extractor to compress the carpets and pull up the liquid.
Then, we can set up air movers and dehumidifiers on top of each of your affected floors to speed up the natural drying and evaporation process. We can dry your wet carpets faster if we pull up a section of it and place air movers underneath them so that air gets pushed under your carpeting.
If you ever have an appliance break and leak moisture into your restaurant's kitchen, call SERVPRO of South Shreveport at (318) 865-4655 any day of the week. We can help you restore your business to the way it was before, "Like it never even happened."
Learn more about Shreveport.
How Can You Decide What Is Salvageable After a Shreveport House Fire?
Fire damage spreads quickly throughout the home. SERVPRO is a complete fire damage restoration specialists.
Enlist the Expertise of Your Local SERVPRO to Help Save Time, Expense, and Memories in Your Shreveport Home
Nothing about dealing with the devastation of a residential fire is easy. Once you have experienced the heat, flames, and destruction, you are likely to be on an emotional roller coaster like no other. You need a rapid assessment of the damage done to your Shreveport home’s structure, followed by immediate implementation of a recovery plan by a highly-trained and qualified team of experts.
Who Knows Which Items to Discard and Which to Save?
Although it might seem as though our managers and technicians are focused primarily on the fire damage to your Shreveport house’s structure, we also have comprehensive training and familiarity with the evaluation and appropriate restoration of compromised household goods and furnishings. We can also assist with any question you have about personal goods and possessions. Sometimes homeowners discard items they could have saved, wasting time and expense to replace. Rely on our trained professionals for expert evaluation and guidance when you wonder and worry about contents cleaning and recovery after fire damage.
Are Some Household and Personal Items Hazardous to Keep After a Fire?
Some categories of household contents can pose concerns if kept for use after Shreveport fires. Items for consumption or that are likely to be in close contact with your family must be evaluated carefully and discarded if no restoration can stop their damaged condition from putting your or your family’s health at risk.
Can You Keep Food After a Fire?
Even if the food looks normal and seems unburned by the flames, there can be many crucial reasons why our crew members recommend that disposal of it should occur.
- Food in opened packages or on counters or tables needs discarding. Smoke, soot, and firefighting chemicals or water contaminate the food, rendering it unfit or even dangerous for consumption.
- Food still sealed in bags, bottles, jars, and cans might seem safe, but if they had exposure to heat during the fire, the temperature change could activate bacteria inside containers. Food spoilage and poisoning can occur, demanding that you err on the side of caution and throw out any questionable food.
- Toxic fumes and even soot can pass through the cardboard and plastic of boxed foods like crackers, cereals, and baking supplies. Particles have been found in jars, climbing the ridges on a screw top. Throw out any foodstuff in this category.
A refrigerator or freezer can provide adequate protection for the foods kept within during a fire under certain circumstances. As long as all the following is true, the contents are likely to be safe.
- The appliance sustained no fire or heat damage and remained sealed the entire time.
- Power not cut or four or fewer hours passed without electrical operation.
Regardless of a “passing grade” received by meeting the above criteria, if any of the following is accurate, do not eat frozen or chilled food:
- A smoke smell pervades the interior of the appliance
- Soot is visible inside the appliance
- The temperature of the interior of a refrigerator exceeds 40 degrees
- Items in a freezer are softening and have no visible ice crystals
- Foods have any unusual odor or texture
What Are the Rules About Using Medications, Cosmetics, and Other Personal Care Items After a Fire?
If heat or flames were near over the counter or prescription drugs or treatments, chemical changes could occur. Especially if bottles, jars, tubes, or packaging shows melting or warping, discard.
Anything used on the body, face, or hair also can undergo chemical changes through heat or burning, and soot can pass through packaging. Shampoos, lotions, creams, soaps, body washes, and other items are all of concern. Soot particles are toxic and abrasive, so even tissues, toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, and similar products like diapers, cotton balls or swabs, hair or face brushes, sponges, and more can be harmful to use on skin or hair.
Is It Safe to Reuse Linens and Clothing?
Restoration for textiles and fabrics is possible with proper cleaning, disinfection, and deodorization. SERVPRO technicians at our production facility can examine and review the fire damage to these items to make sure you and your family can enjoy them again safely.
What Are the Recommendations for Furniture, Household Goods, and Personal Possessions?
We often suggest a partial pack-out of a wide range of the removal of fire damaged items in your home. We use a detailed Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS) to track the articles, employing traditional lists, barcoding, and digital images. Our specially trained content technicians have a wide range of resources and interventions to assess and plan for the restoration of the items. The documentation provided by CCIS helps us keep your insurance carrier apprised and can support claims for our services or replacement when necessary.
Years of highly skilled and well-equipped responses to residential fire damage poises SERVPRO of South Shreveport to assist you and your family with taking care of all the aspects of fire loss devastation. Call us 24/7 at (318) 865-4655 for compassionate professional mitigation and remediation services for your home and its contents.