Misused Electrical Outlets Can Cause Fire Damages In Your Shreveport Home
Prevent Fires from Electrical Shorts By Following this Information from SERVPRO
Many Shreveport homeowners do not fully understand the electrical network throughout their homes. While most occupants can appreciate the plug and use mentality of outlets, they fail to understand how they work and their limitations for specific oversized items or their ability to fail in dangerous ways when they get improperly used.
Preventing dangerous situations in your home is a priority to most families, and this begins with better understanding the limitations and restraints of your electrical systems. To prevent situations like fire damages in your Shreveport residence, it is a good idea to educate yourself about how you can be more safety-conscious about electrical consumption and improper usages.
One of the first things that a homeowner needs to consider when it comes to their electrical outlets in their home is that they only get rated for a specific amount of available power. This misunderstanding has required our SERVPRO technicians to respond to emergencies in residences and commercial structures alike. Trying to get more out of this individual stations than what they can provide underpowers the devices you have plugged in and can overload the outlet itself, causing sparks and combustion.
Another situation that our SERVPRO fire restoration team has seen is improper usage of outlets. Many homeowners mistakenly believe that because their home is grounded with a wire outside, that this protects all of the outlets, whether they have a grounding slot or not. Unless the individual who installed your electrical system physically connected your outlets to this grounding rod via the fuse box, some of your power outlets could remain unprotected. Using three-pronged appliances and devices with a converter for a two-pronged outlet provides no protection, and power surges can and do ignite fires. GFCI, ground fault circuit interrupters are often used in water accessible areas like bathrooms and kitchens to help prevent the chance of shocks or electrocution.
A better understanding of the safety guidelines and limitations of your residential electrical system can help you to prevent fires and disasters in your home. If these situations have already occurred, trust our SERVPRO of South Shreveport fire restoration specialists to help you clean up the mess and get your home back to preloss conditions quickly. Give us a call 24/7 at (318) 865-4655.
Call here for fire emergencies.